Saturday, May 19, 2007

Big Cypress National Preserve

We went to camp out at Big Cypress National Preserve, one of the other study areas, for a few days. Many of the same birds are there, but unlike the Everglades, BCNP has Red-cockaded Woodpeckers, Tufted Titmice, and a lot more Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and Swallow-tailed Kites.

There are many Brown-headed Nuthatch families around at this time of year.





Hanging upside down- circus people ain't got nothing on him.



This Swallow-tailed Kite was circling overhead for quite a while, calling and looking down at me. I even saw one in a parking lot today!







Common Yellowthroats were very pishable.







Pine Warblers were also fiesty.



YES! I did get pictures of Red-cockaded Woodpeckers. There were three of them flying around squeaking at each other constantly. I even caught a glimpse of the grand 'cockade' on one of them.










Squirrel tree frogs are everywhere at night.



Titmice are actually rare in South Florida, which is very unusual to me.




Juvenile titmouse, hungry as usual.




I love White-eyed Vireos because they get really pissed off at the drop of a hat. Anytime I pished, one would instantly pop up, scolding his brains out. This one is hiding coyly behind a branch.





This one was cursing at me for a really long time. Even when I turned and had walked away, he followed me and scolded again so he could have the last word!


No comments: